Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mamahood, What a crazy adventure!

RMG.....get out and have fun!


I was just sitting here thinking, what do I want to share about my life here in Seattle. So I thought I would post a bit about this amazing moms group here in Renton.....RMG! a.k.a "my USA family" It really has been my saving grace on this crazy adventure of mama hood....I don't know what I would do with out it?

This life changing opportunity came along when Harry was about 1.5yrs old around the same time we moved from Fairwood to Kennydale, it was a very exciting time, time to spice things up in life! I was looking for some local friends with kids the same age.
How do you meet people in this day and age....the Internet!
I looked up Renton playgroups to try and find a group to join and came across http://www.meetup.com/ (if you've never checked it out, its great, go look!)

Anyway, there was nothing so I joined a scrapbooking group on meetup located in Bellevue. This was not what I really wanted to be doing, I wanted to be meeting other moms and kids.
Within a week there was a new meetup group, the Renton Moms Group....Whooo Hooo! Was someone reading my mind....lol! How could I resist, so I joined straight away. There were 5 other moms all wanting to get out and have some fun with their kids. Nothing was happening with this group, so I got in touch with one of the moms who also joined on the same day, we contacted each other and organized to meet up at a park for a play. It was a little nerve racking, kind of like a blind date...hehehe! (to this day Jo is one of my best friends)
So nearly a month passed and the group was not really doing anything. Before I knew it the organizer was saying that it will be closed...what? That could not happen, it was so needed! The org called me and asked if I would be interested in taking over the organizing of the group. I would love too!!! And jumped at the chance. Lets make this work.....

Long story short, within a year we had grown to a group of nearly 300 moms! Talk about a need! It was so exciting to feel like I was making a difference while meeting the most amazing moms all at the same time. What had I done to get so lucky. I have made the most wonderful friends in this group, ones that I know will be there forever! The last 2yrs have been life changing thanks to the RMG.

I have learnt that you can enjoy being a mom and that I didn't have to lose my identity, it doesn't have to be all about your kids, its finding the balance. Being a mom while trying to maintain my own identity, interests and talents, its a balancing act! While having these two wonderful little guys in my life to make the adventure even more sweeter.....

Some of my most wonderful memories from the last 2 years come from this group. In just 2 years the group has planned over 600 fun events for the kids and moms in Renton. There is an organizer group of 20 amazing moms who volunteer their time and are totally dedicated. The women in this org group are just beautiful, who are inspiring moms and friends.

I love the RMG (through all the ups and downs, its a moms group, of cause there's been drama) It has totally changed my life and has blessed me with the most amazing friends....Thank you for being part of this fun adventure and for so many wonderful memories (and lots more to come!) love you mama's...xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. It makes me feel I can share your life more. Just want to hug those little men (and their mom) so much. Can't wait to see at Xmas.
love Nanna
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx