Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mommy goes back to school....
Volunteering in Harry's Class!

As it was Harry's birthday yesterday I asked his teacher if it would be ok to volunteer in his class for the afternoon. After Thomas left for school I headed over to Bryn Mawr Elementary, what a great look of excitement on Harry's face as I opened the classroom door!

OK, so I am sure he was more excited about the tray of power ranger cupcakes I brought for his birthday, but I am sure he was still excited to see me too.

This was the first time I had volunteered in Harry's Kinder class, what a wonderful experience!

It was great to see Harry actively participating in class and having fun....phew, my fears were put to ease, he really does have fun at school! I enjoyed watching him interact with his teacher and friends, playing games I had only heard stories about.

I got to see where his desk is, who he sits next to, where he builds with blocks, where his art is proudly displayed on the wall, who his friends are, where he sits for circle time...etc. Its a very stimulating, organized and fun kindergarden environement, Mrs Wilson has done a great job of putting her brightly colored room together.

I think the most gratifying thing to see was how well he did in class. Harry followed the teachers direction well, he listened, he sat with his legs crossed, he raised his hand when he wanted to speak, he even sat quietly and paid attention to the story with out being distracted. I was so proud!

Today was gym day, I had the chance to see what they do in P.E. They played some relay games and were asked to pick teams, the captains were selected and then the teams were chosen.
Harry was picked first in gym today, what a proud mommy moment....hahaha!

His teacher Mrs. Wilson has a full day class of 24 kids...yikes! She handles it so beautifully and for only knowing the kids a few weeks you could feel the protectiveness and joy she has for her students already. You can really tell she loves what she does, what a sweet and fun class to be in!

2 comments:

Christina said...

What a great volunteering experience! I hope mine is that good.

Jenn said...

I'm so glad you got a chance to volunteer in his class. It really does wonders for the mommy fears!