Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Harry is learning to read....

Last week at school, Harry's kindergarten class started a new reading program. Its one that is carried over from the classroom to the home. Its been really fun helping Harry every night with his reading homework.

"The Wet Dog" I could recite the whole thing to you...lol! The first night was like pulling teeth and was painful for both of us. He did not want to listen, let alone look at the book. He was more interested in anything else....agh whats a mom to do? After taking him to bed, I actually cried thinking, I don't know what I am doing here? How do I get a 6yr old to listen and focus when they really are not interested? Is he ever going to read?
This is going to be an uphill battle I thought, but.....

By the second night, after some coaxing, bribing and positive encouragement Harry decided he would really try and read the words. After 10 mins he was reading the first two pages and recognized all the sight words...woo hoo! It was all I could do to not jump on his bed with joy!

Friday came around and it was the day to hand all the homework in (he answered a question every night which I had to sign off on!) He was so excited about completeing the questions, we got through the first week! He earned his reward from the book basket that I had put together for him (OK so its bribery, but its paying off!) He chose a spiderman coloring page and I could tell he was proud of himself for getting to Friday with everything completed "Mom I can read!"

We had a wonderful week of reading and learning. It was a battle and not easy for Harry, but he did not give up and by the end of the week he was able to read the entire book...sigh!
What a great mommy moment, I'm so proud of my little guy!

Here is a new favorite website of ours, great in helping kids learn letters, phonics and reading. Not to mention, independence and accomplishment!

http://www.starfall.com/

5 comments:

Jenn said...

What an exciting phase. And to have him work so hard for it, is totally worth the bribe!

Anonymous said...

Go Harry, I'm really, really, really, really proud of you. You'll be able to read these letters to mom soon!!
love from Nanna

Amber said...

Hearing your child read is the best feeling! I hope you enjoy many more reading sessions in the months to come. I like your new background! It's fun to jazz blogger up a bit.

Taryn said...

Oh so funny, Julia. Great work Harry! Hope he is still having fun with the reading, not to mention all that other homework that must be coming home. What a little goldmine to discover your blog(s), Julia. Thanks for sharing.
Taryn

veronica antal said...

Yeah Harry!! As for the bribery, How many adults would still go to work if they they weren't getting paid? We use it all the time for new skills.