Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Its Official...We have a first grader!!!

I can remember the nerve's of going back to school after summer break! A new class, a new teacher, will your friends be in your class? What is first grade like? is it different to Kindergarten? so many unknown's to figure out. I had the adrenalin pumping through me today too.

7:20am - Time to wake up, first day of school! First day of school! Sorry totally have Nemo in my head! Summer break is over!

Harry is signed up to ride the bus, but as I suspected he really wanted me to take him today (which by the way I was going to anyway!) He is becoming so independent, wanting to do things on his own, not needing his mom around so much. Am I nearly out of a job?

While this morning was all about Harry, getting him off to school with as little stress as possible, making the transition smooth and achievable, it was hard not to feel emotions and think about my roll as him mom. My job description is changing, he really can do so much on his own now!
"Mom, I'm such a big boy now, aren't I ?" he said as he walked out the front door with his new big boy school bag and his confident first grade smile!
Fighting back the tears, I said "Yes, you are, one amazing big boy!" In the back of my head, I had the thoughts of, what if this is it, he doesn't want the hugs anymore or to hold my hand? He is a big boy after all, heading off to first grade....

We arrived at school to see a million cars, people, buses and general unorganized craziness! Completely overwhelming! But he took it all in stride and just kept calm and told me how excited he was to be back at school! We found a park just outside the school grounds on the street, so we had a ways to walk to his classroom.
We got out of the car and started walking...the next thing I know, he was holding my hand! Gosh that was the best mommy feeling. I held a little tighter today, treasuring the moment!

We got to his new classroom, so many people buzzing around the entrance to his room that he showed a little sign of hesitation, he was a little unsure of what to do. He didn't say anything, no hugs, no waves, just a big step through the door and off he goes!

I watched him find his seat, a little teary eyed as he is so independent. He's so happy to be with his friends again. And already getting on with what he needs to be doing. I was about to head off too, but just had to watch a moment more, I so badly wanted a hug, but I guess that is not the big thing to do. Thank god he looked back and gave me a wonderful smile, it said so many things...but mostly I felt the I love you mom!

Harry have a wonderful year in first grade, discovering and being confident with who you are!

3 comments:

elaida said...

Awww I can't believe he's in grade one already. What a big boy!

Anonymous said...

We're so proud of our big boy. Have a wonderful year Harry.
Nanna and Grandad

Jill P said...

What a big moment and such a big boy! So glad that you both made it through the first few days. :)