Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not a little boy anymore....

The first day of school!
I now have a 2nd grade student - My how the time has flown!
The preparation for this new school year has been a summer long event, really today was 3mths in the making and I have to say I'm pretty relieved it is here.

Last night the school clothes were laid out for the day to come. The lunch box was filled with yummy goodness (as well as a little letter and candy from mom) Kids in bed early, but not sleeping from the butterflies in their tummies. Nerve's were starting to show. An excited, giddy kind of behavior, where a few times Harry remarked his tummy didn't feel well, it must be the butterflies mommy! When sleep finally came, I could take a big breath and finish preparing for the big transition to come the next morn.

Sleep last night did not come easy to me. I had a dream it was my wedding day and I was rushing around trying to find everything, I couldn't find my dress, I was late and nervous. It was like I was having sympathy nerves with Harry and anxious for him!!!
"Harry, Good morning! Time to wake up big school boy!" To my surprise he woke up with a smile on his face, asking if today was school! Few, first hurdle down, it was a great start!
He got dressed in his smart school clothes and we headed down for breakfast. I could tell he was really nervous as he was pretty silent during breakfast. Towards the end he had a lot of tears and the anxiety poured out. Quite the bumpy transition for the start of the school year. I was fighting back the tears at this point too. Some talking and some more tears, he was soon feeling a little better.
So with everything packed, kids in the car, we headed off...8am yikes that is early!
We pulled up the long drive to his school, a little intimidating to say the least, huge drive with a dominating 3 story building sitting on top of the hill. We got out of the, I could feel his excitement mixed with hesitation.
Its official, Harry is in the 2nd grade at his new school here called Hazelwood Elementary. We walked through the front doors of the building and who was waiting there, but his teacher, waiting to greet him! Love this! Harry said "OK mommy you can go now!" Big hugs were given and that was that! wow!!! Seriously, that was it! I was expecting so many other scenarios, I guess my little guy really is growing up!
I am excited for this school year and all the wonderful possibilities it holds!
A little bit about his new school: Hazelwood offers an ILC (Inclusive Learning Center) which specializes in children who learn differently. We have labeled it as his scientific school as a way to get him excited about the change. We had orientation earlier this week where he got to meet his new teacher Mrs. Olshefski (its a bit of a tricky one so we call her Mrs. O for short) she seems lovely, very sweet and patient which is just what the kids need. The class room is huge with lots of space to learn and create. Harry will start the day in a homeroom with Mrs Dyson in a general ed class where he will also attend music, PE and art with this class. Harry will have lots of opportunities to make new friends and play at what seems to be a wonderful school.

1 comment:

Jill P said...

It sounds fantastic! I hope Harry continues to love his school and his teacher!